If you are a US citizen living abroad, you are not eligible for the J1 emergency medical coverage. However, we do an alternative option for you.

Below is a link to a site where dual citizens who hold a U.S. passport but reside outside the U.S can get short-term coverage while in the U.S.


  1. Choose Patriot Travel Insurance.
  2. Click Book Insurance. 
  3. In the Traveler Information section, enter United States for citizenship and the country where you are living for residence.
  4. Adjust the coverage max and deductible that you want then choose Buy Now. 
  5. Continue through the Price Options section and select the maximum coverage and deductible desired.
  6. In the next section, Optional Coverage, if the COVID -19 Coverage & Acute Onset of Pre-Existing Conditions Benefit is selected as Yes then the name on the right will change to Patriot America Plus. The “Lite” insurance does not cover COVID.

Please let us know if you have any questions.